I was craving veggie burgers the other day but had loads of stuff in the fridge that needed using up; but hey presto, I whizzed it all together and got the veggie burgers of my dreams! I would definitely say to use this as a guideline, and substitute or add/remove as necessary – as it’s always best to just use what you have, but the general idea is the same.
Makes 6-8 burgers.
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 small ones), boiled and mashed.
- 2 small boiled beetroots
- 2 carrots, grated or spiralised
- handful of spinach
- handful of kale
- 1-2 slices of bread (blended into breadcrumbs)
- 1 egg (whisked)
- pinch of salt/pepper
- flour (as needed)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (optional)
- chilli flakes (optional)
- Blend the beetroot, spinach, kale, carrot together so it’s fine and free from lumps.
- Add the blended vegetables, breadcrumbs and egg to the mashed sweet potato
- Combine in to a dough and add flour as necessary so that it all comes together
- With floured hands, pull parts of the dough and roll around in your hands to make balls before making into a burger shape.
- If you’re planning on freezing, I would recommend individually wrapping in clingfilm as the dough can stick together and this makes it easier to grab when de-frosting.
- To cook straight away, stick the patties straight into a hot pan with coconut oil and cook until the outside is golden brown and crispy.
- Stick in a bun or with a salad and you’re good to go! Tastes great with hummus 🙂
Let me know if you give them a try 🙂